Tim seemed much more interested in choosing names than I did. He had come up with a list by the end of summer. I wasn't even in the second trimester yet. We didn't know the sex of the baby even. I absolutely refused to even think about names until we knew the sex of the baby. Tim, on the other hand, had a list of about 10 names for either sex. I wish I would have kept the list, but I didn't. I remember wanting to burn it because none of the names were remotely acceptable.
The one name on his boy list that I FLAT OUT REFUSED was Fielding. Fielding? Really?
After that I really wasn't interested in talking about name. Tim was apparently crazy. How could I come to an agreement with him when he was starting at FIELDING?
We found out the sex of the baby at 22 weeks on October 25th. Once I knew we were having a girl, I felt much better. At least Tim and I weren't going to have a fist fight over the name Fielding. We both began texting possible names to each other. Names high on my list were Wren, Charlotte, and Ivy. Tim mentioned that Wren wasn't so bad.
I took that as official agreement and began making plans in my head for baby Wren. It was too perfect. Robin and Wren. She would be my little birdie junior. Tim even mentioned that we should use my middle name (Rachael) as hers. Durham's middle name matches Tim's. Ainsley's middle name matches my mother's. Wren would need a special middle name as well.
After a few weeks Tim began to have doubts about the name. He wanted a name that had two syllables so it matched Durham and Ainsley. He offered Wrenley, Wrenlyn, or Wrenna. [Let the record show that after reading this post Tim was adamant that Wrenna was never an option. It was Wrennen.] I was MORTIFIED by the prospect of any of those.
I simply told him that my heart was set and he couldn't change my mind. I'd learned from the previous two pregnancies that he would defer to me in the hospital anyway. I was going to stick to my guns with this one.
We didn't even talk about it again until a couple of days before Wrenn was born. Tim emailed me to offer up one last choice. "How about Hadley?" This was tempting, but I wasn't about to budge.
By the time we got to the hospital, I offered to change it to Wrenn with 2 n's, knowing that Tim would like that better.
So on February 19th, Robin Rachael Roberts gave birth to Wrenn Rachael Roberts.
She's my little birdie.
Read about Ainsley's name here.

No comments:
Post a Comment