Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mother's Day Project

The kids and I worked on a little Mother's Day craft this year.  Inspired by Pinterest, we decided to paint a flower using the kids' hands and feet.  We started by venturing out to Hobby Lobby to purchase the supplies.  I went with just myself and the kids.  This isn't something I do often, but I was feeling ambitious.  It was my last week of maternity leave, so I had to go out with a bang.  

Once I got to Hobby Lobby, I realized that I hadn't thought ahead enough about the logistics of taking three kids in to shop.  They have these tiny little carts that just don't work well with my brood.  I decided to put Wrenn's carseat in the basket of the cart, Durham in the seat of the cart, and let Ainsley walk.  This was dangerous for so many reasons.  I had to carry all of our supplies because the cart was filled with just my kids.  :)

Once we got home we started painting!  The plan was that Durham's feet would be the leaves, Ainsley's hands would be the petals, and Wrenn's feet would be a butterfly.  Here we go.  Preschool teachers do this all the time, right?

Ainsley and I began by luring Durham outside to paint his feet.  We quickly discovered that Durham had no interest in getting his feet painted.  This little boy fought us TOOTH AND NAIL.  I had to hold his feet still to paint them, but then he swatted at us with his arms.  

Ainsley and I then developed a plan that she would hold his hands while I just dunked his foot in the paint.  Screaming ensued as Durham fought for his life.  I made a comment to Ainsley that the neighbors were probably going to call CPS on us!  Unfortunately, she listened to me and told a friend of mine that the neighbors call CPS on us.  I've learned not to make that joke anymore.  
This was before Durham swatted her in the face.  
"Can you hold still, Durham?"
We soon released Durham from his Mother's Day duties and worked on the rest of the project with just the girls on the deck.  Durham retired to the living room to watch Cars.  

Ainsley quickly finished the stem of the flower for Durham.  
Ainsley then got to mix the paint to make orange.  She was quite proud of herself for knowing exactly what colors needed to be mixed for each of our endeavors.  She was also quite excited that I let her use her hands.  
Proud as a peacock.
Now it was Wrenn's turn to help.  She was wiggly as we painted her feet, but luckily Ainsley and I were fully capable of overpowering her and forcing her to participate.  When Ainsley and I set our minds to something, you just can't stop us.  
We're going to paint your feet and you will like it. 
Ainsley added her handprints and we were headed towards artistic perfection.  

Midway through the project.  
We let the paint dry for a day and then decided our painting needed some embellishment.  Grass, sunshine, butterfly, and flowers will fill out the painting nicely.  



Then they were ready to deliver.  On Mother's Day we made our rounds to deliver these precious paintings to the Mamas in our life.  


Happy Mother's Day to our Mamas!  

2 comments:

  1. I loved hearing how this all came about. I just love the painting and it is on my wall already,,

    ReplyDelete